In South Yorkshire we have been working around the clock to tackle the gravest public health crisis any of us have faced. We will get through this with the solidarity, courage, initiative and resilience that epitomises our Labour movement and our Yorkshire spirit.
- Led the South Yorkshire COVID-19 Economic Recovery Group to forge a collective response to rebuilding and renewing our regional economy.
- Ensured that our bus and tram networks keep moving to enable key workers to get to work.
- Issued a call-to-arms to our manufacturers to increase the supply of PPE for our NHS and social care system.
- Invested in the SCR Growth Hub to provide practical support to businesses weathering the storm.
- Worked to close the ‘Digital Divide’ to ensure that every child can learn remotely.
I want to pay tribute to everyone who has lost their life to the Coronavirus, including over 400 residents in South Yorkshire.
Every death leaves a family in mourning and a community devastated. We will never forget them nor the selfless service of our front-line workers.
When we, together, overcome this disease, it will be the task of our entire movement to rebuild and renew our country to forge a fairer and more equal society.